One of the most meaningful moments in a woman’s life is the day of her wedding. As a professional makeup artist I love getting brides ready for their big day. It is extremely rewarding to create a custom look for a bride that compliments her natural features, personality, and the overall feel of her wedding day. It’s music to my ears when a bride sits in my chair, looks in the mirror and says, “I feel beautiful!”
As you are approaching your wedding, here are my top ten tips to looking fabulous on your special day.
- Make sure you get on a good skin care regimen right away. Cleanse, tone, and moisturize morning and evening. Exfoliate 2-3 times a week. Book a facial a month before your wedding day. This gets rid of dead skin and helps to create a radiant complexion.
- Start eating plenty of fruit and veggies and drink lots of water. What you put into your body is important. It affects how you feel, and the overall look and feel of your skin.
- Make an appointment to get your brows done. This is important for framing your face. Get them done 2-3 days before your wedding day. Do not get them done the day of, as some people’s skin can become red and irritated from waxing.
- If you are getting a spray tan, set your appointment 2-3 days before your wedding. It is also helpful to make an appointment a month before to see how the color works on your skin.
- Get your nails done. People are always going to want to look at your ring, so have your nails nicely manicured. Especially for the big day.
- Decide on whether you are going to use a makeup artist or do your own makeup. If you decide to go with a makeup artist do your research. Ask your friends who they have used and liked. Once you find an artist, set up an appointment for a trial run. Bring pictures of makeup looks that you would like for your big day. Also, bring a picture of your dress and potential hairstyle. This will help the artist in creating a customized look for you. If you choose to do your own makeup, get your inspirational pictures together and start practicing. Practice makes perfect. Wear your makeup a little heavier than you normally would. You want the makeup to stand out in pictures and under heavy lighting.
- Make sure your foundation is photogenic and long wearing. MACS ProLongwear is excellent. For a less expensive option Revlon’s Colorstay works well. Wear a primer underneath and make sure to set the foundation with powder.
- Choose a waterproof liner and mascara. Urban Decay’s 24-7 liner and Dior Show’s mascara are excellent options.
- To play up the eyes, wear false lashes. They really have the ability to make your eyes stand out. Ardell and MAC both have great lash selections.
- You are going to be smiling a lot on your wedding day. Guarantee a gorgeous mile with teeth whitening. You can make an appointment with your dentist to have them professionally whitened or you can purchase an at home whitening kit like Crest White Strips. In my opinion Crest white strips work great and are much easier on the pocketbook!
I hope these selected tips serve you well. They have been a guideline for many women in the past including myself, in preparing for that one day we will never forget. Best of wishes on your big day, you’re going to look beautiful! -Rebekah
For a chance to win two of the products featured in the blog, comment below with some of your own beauty tips or questions!
Be sure to include your email address so we can contact you if you win!
Rebekah Miura is a Kansas City-based professional makeup artist, wardrobe stylist, and blogger. She enjoys the outdoors; surfing and hiking are at the top of her list! She also has a love for traveling and exploring new cities and cultures. Classical music inspires her & she is obsessed with fashion magazines & blogs!
Photos by: Reagan Miura